Friday, September 25, 2009

Preparing...

So I really can't dilly-dally much more. I've got to get a little more into this whole planning thing. I don't like to plan very much for back-packing trips and I've never liked packing for any trip, though luckily I'm not at that stage yet. :)

I've got my Vietnam visa, I turned in my application for Cambodia this week, and next week I'll do Laos. (I don't need one for Thailand.) Plane ticket - check. Good backpack - check. Vaccinations - in process. So the Japanese encephalitis one is costing me $600! Luckily, I already had most everything else from my other travels...

Right now what I'm mostly working on is making connections with necessary people before I go. A friend of a friend is going to be in Cambodia the same time I'm there...and another friend of a friend is Cambodian and lives there. I'm still working on my connections in the other 3 countries...I may be visiting two friends' families in Vietnam and Laos. And Thailand is like tourist central so I'm not worried about that. I'm also using work connections to see if I can get into the refugee camps on the Thai/Burma border.

That's not too bad for my trip still being a month away, huh?

3 comments:

  1. $600 for a vaccination! OMG!
    Pack light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $600??!! seriously? currently the JE is only a periodic epidemic in ASEAN countries. what about the H1N1? do you need to take any vaccine for that?

    sigh.. i wish i could join you laura :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, $600 is absolutely ridiculous and I don't think my health insurance is going to cover it so it's out of pocket. The travel clinic I went to suggested it since I'll be there for a month and since I will probably visit some villages off the beaten path. My friends who have traveled to the region got it too. I thought about trying to get the vaccination when I get there, but the doctor told me that it won't give my body enough time to form the antibodies. Doing it that late makes it useless. As for H1N1, I'm supposed to try to get the vaccination, but it's now just now coming out here...and so I'm not sure I'll be able to get it.

    I wish you could join me to, Zaila!

    ReplyDelete