Friday, November 13, 2009

Agent orange

So I'll write another post - I'm trying to download my pics and it's taking a while. (I have free internet at this hotel!)

Today was another "war day" where my day revolved around the Vietnam/American war. I took a tour of the Cu Chi tunnels, which are the tunnels that the Viet Cong dug and used during the war. They're only 70 km away but it took 2 hours to get there b/c of the traffic. Ugh. Plus, when we got there, there was some issue with the tickets and our group got separated and our guide was spazzing, so there was a bit of an annoyance factor. It was interesting to learn that there was something like 200 km (?) of these tunnels and 16,000 people lived in them. We looked at some of the entry ways from above ground as well as all the different kinds of booby traps used on the American troops. Then there's one tunnel they let us climb through. I'm pretty sure they enlarged it for the tourists (and added lights), but even still, it kind of freaked me out and I got out early. I think I only made it through 80 meters. They also talked about the "American war" from their perspectve of course. We watched a "documentary" at one point that was basically propaganda - at one point it talked about "American killer" heros. Oh and I can't forget this part - they had a shooting range there where tourists could shoot machine guns and so on. Really? Seriously? Throughout the whole tour you could hear the guns being shot in the background and I kept thinking, is this supposed to create a more authentic environment?? I found it disturbing.

On the way back to Saigon we stopped at a workshop where people with disabilities were making crafts - mostly beautiful items from eggshells and seashells. These people had all been affected by agent orange - the chemical we sprayed all over Vietnam during the war. Thousands of people have been negatively affected by this chemical, such as adults with cancer and children born without body parts. I bought a platter, which is lovely and I was happy to support them, though of course it'll need to find a home in my backpack. This part of the day's trip made the numerous hours on the bus worth it. Yesterday I mentioend comfortable bus trips - today's wasn't as comfortable. But mostly b/c I was sitting next to a very large Polish man who could've used a shower!

Then I went to the war museum which had some excellent photos, though sad of course. I really knew very little about the affects of agent orange until today - but I'm super clear now after viewing dozens of horrific photos of children born without body parts, or with Downs or cerebral palsy, etc. There were also exhibits on the history leading up to the war as well as examples of weapons, which I wasn't too into.

I'm not going to lie, I had pizza and chocolate chip cookies for dinner. After a week straight of Asian food, I needed a little break. Tomorrow I'm taking a tour of the Mekong delta and the next day it's to the central highlands to visit H'Lem's daughter!

2 comments:

  1. Let's not forget our own soldiers who were affected by the chemical...many were not even aware of it's existence and suffered greatly. The US gov't treated their own men as a means to some sort of end. Many men came home sterile, in wheelchairs, and had their thyroids obliterated not to mention fathering children with disfiguring disabilites as well.

    I thought that museum did a really great job showing both sides of war. The vietnamese people didn't profess to be victims as I walked thru that museum but definitely portrayed they had just as much of a role as us. War is hell bottom line.

    And the tunnels were such an experience. When I went, there were quite a few vets visiting for the first time since the war. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That propaganda video was something else. I wouldn't go in that tunnel if you paid me, I don't care if it was enlarged for the tourists. I just went to the other side and waited for my friends to come out!

    ReplyDelete