Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving take 2

I got me some turkey and mashed potatoes!! So I was walking down the street this evening when I stopped to observe a woman working on a loom in front of her store. I walked into the store to look around and she started talking to me in good English. She explained that she worked at 10,000 villages in Pennsylvania for a year and then she introduced me to some of her other family members - a couple. The guy's from TN and the woman is Laotian - they met here in Laos and they spend part of their time in Laos and part in the states. And they have 4 cute kiddos. So we talked for like 5 minutes and then suddenly they brought me a plate of turkey, mashed potatoes, and salad - yum! So I guess I got a traditional thanksgiving dinner afterall. :) They've got a great store too - they employ Hmong women and sell everything fair trade, etc. They also gave me some advice on where to go around town, etc.

I also had a lovely exchange earlier with the women at a massage place - after I got the BEST massage I think I've ever had. The women there helped me call Vikham's sister-in-law to make sure I'm clear on where we're meeting up tomorrow. I'm supposed to meet her at 8:30 am at a hotel near her house. It's only 9 pm here but I'm pretty tired since I've been up since 5:30 am. I'm going to walk around a little bit more and then hit the hay. Thinking of you all as you're probably popping your turkeys in the oven.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a much better time in Laos! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete