Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A short one...

Just really quick - I'm in an internet cafe with a printer so I can print my co-worker's updated directions for how to get to my friend's daughter''s village in Vietnam.

Last night Trudi's Cambodian friends picked me up around 8:30 pm - past my bedtime. :) We drove down to the riverfront and walked around and they had me try some new kinds of fruit. Then they drove me around town a bit pointing out this and that. They were extremely nice and it was interesting conversation as expected. We didn't get too much into his work except that it's really exhausting and he told me a little bit about what they're trying to get done by December. I also talked to the daughter who did K-4 or 5 in Chicago and is now in the American school here and in 7th grade. And Trudi, if you're reading this, Ka's English was better than you prepared me for. She was laughing when I was talking and so on and understood much of what I was saying. She was really sweet.

And one other thing to throw out there that's quite a contradiction to yesterday. Cambodia has come a long way since the killing fields - my hostel has wi-fi, cable tv in each room with CNN (trying to keep up with the health care debate!), and the owner has an iphone. All for $7 a night and I had to get a double b/c no singles were left - singles are probably $4-5/night.

Okay, that's it for now. I'm off to explore Phnom Penh on foot! Museum, the king's palace, etc.

3 comments:

  1. Hi L, (Wed,Nov 11 at 5:55 am)
    That was great that you met up with Trudi's friends!!
    J & K are getting their furnace installed today (Wed, Nov 11). J's off because it's Veteran's Day.

    T C,
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made full use of your car today! IKEA, Lowe's, haircut, groceries, Target... Don't you miss your day-to-day being full of errands instead of exploring temples and foreign lands?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, why were you up at 2:55 am? Or is it showing that b/c of the time difference? Thanks for all your comments - keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete